Just to be safe I thought I’d remove the bottom 5cm of the port side cabin top, glad I did!
This lump below is pure rust layer upon layer, and the wood against it was inevitably soft!!
On this side it was clear to see that the rot and rust started by the rusting of the steel screw used to fix the cabin to the deck lip.
Just bought a new tool here for removing the rust a needle scaler airtool, I was not happy that I had got into all the crevices, with my grinding wheels and hammer, this is certainly the answer !
On the roof at the corners there was two unusual covering pieces, thought they weren’t original, so I carefully removed the port one, aah !! black and rot , caused by two large steel screws rusted and rotted!!
Note the two rusty screws extracted before I go any further!
Heres the wedges cut, will have to do some treating with oxalic acid and bleach to get rid of the black before I saturate the whole area in epoxy.
The origional hatch is hugely heavy teak and loose without hinges, in all honesty its a little clumsy looking, have now stripped the brown varnish away and I am adding a porthole, hinges are next, the type with spring clips so I can easily remove the hatch if desired. Also I’m going to cut down the height slightly and slope it forward.